Do you want to improve your essay writing skills? Then, prepare to do two things. First, you need to write lots of essays. Second, read a lot. If you want to be a great writer, you can never separate writing and reading. The best writers ever known tend to be exceptional readers. All these can be achieved by reading the best essays ever written essay.
We can do great work if we experience great works done by other people. This is the reason the best filmmakers watch films done by great people. It is also the reason musicians listen to music done by other people. So, to be a good writer, you have to read good works ever done.
How Does Reading Improve Your Writing Styles?
- First, reading will expose you to various writing styles. Reading different essays helps us to understand our writing styles. Then, it helps us learn other writing styles.
- Second, reading expands our vocabulary. Great works of literature contain lots of information to improve our writing. When reading, note down, or highlight new words or phrases. Take note of how they are used. Learn how to use these words. Then, you can use them in your writing.
- Third, reading improves our grammar. Great essays have proper English language grammar. When you read these essays, you learn how to tackle grammar. You also learn how to use punctuation.
- Fourth, reading gives us new ideas. Reading great works of literature exposes us to new ideas for our writing assignments. It improves creativity.
- Fifth Reading gives us great writing inspiration. According to great writers, what inspires them most is reading other people’s works. They say reading keeps improving their writing.
As a result of these reasons, if you want to become a better writer, you need to create time to read. For example, you can read great essays to become a better essay writer. For some inspiration, next, you will find five best essays ever written.
Top 5 Best Essays Ever Written All The Time
1. E.B. White’s “Once more to the lake”
This is one of the best essays ever written. It describes the author’s experience by revisiting childhood. During the revisiting, the mindset changes and goes back to childhood. This makes it easy for him to enjoy the journey. Read this beautiful essay and get to know about White’s summer vacation. You will also get several essay writing tips. Such tips include;
- First, ensure that your essay is readable. White uses sophisticated language. But the essay is readable. All your readers should have an easier time understanding the essay.
- Second, you should use different literary devices to make your essay better. For example, the author uses personification. He constantly refers to the environment in human terms. He also uses simile and metaphor to improve the quality of his essay. For example, he uses the word ‘like’ to compare objects.
- Third, the essay exposes us to different themes. For example, he introduces the disruptive side of technology. You don’t have to just write about the benefits of technology. You can also write about its disruptive nature.
2. Roger Ebert’s “Go Gentle into That Good Night”
Go Gentle into That Good Night is among the greatest essays ever written. It was first published in 2009. Robert Ebert was also known as a great film critic. It was one of the greatest pieces talking about the author’s beliefs about life. From this essay, you will learn about the celebration of life. You will learn about humanism and courage. You will also learn about the process of dying. Most importantly, you will learn several writing tips such as;
- Firstly, you will learn about the importance of the first sentence in your essay. We always say, start with a hook. Aim to capture your reader’s attention. The author starts the essay with an attention-grabbing sentence. He says, “I know it is coming, and I do not fear,” With such a sentence, a reader would want to know, what is coming? To get the answer, they will be excited to read through the essay.
- Secondly, you will discover the importance of quotes. Ebert uses several quotes throughout the essay. The moderate use of quotes can help prove your point. Be keen on the use of quotation marks.
- Thirdly, Ebert teaches us that we can use real-life experiences to write great essays.
3. George Orwell’s “A Hanging”
‘A Hanging’ is another great essay ever written. It talks about how humans can be inhuman. Orwell talks about the cruelty of human beings. It is one of the greatest short essays. The author recounts an incident of an execution of a Hindu prisoner. It is this incident that changes his viewpoint about capital punishment. There is a lot to learn from these best essays ever written. Orwell’s essay will teach you several things.
- Firstly, you will learn the art of making your reader experience your story. When Orwell explains the execution process, you can feel the pain.
- Secondly, you will learn how to use literary devices in your essay. The author uses irony, physical description, and imagery throughout the essay. For example, he uses imagery to show the inhumane side of capital punishment. He uses irony to criticize the uncaring attitude towards capital punishment. For example, after executing the prisoner, the superintendent says that the dead is “all right”. This irony shows the uncaring attitude of humans.
- Thirdly, Orwell introduces a unique way of concluding an essay. You don’t have to conclude an essay by reviewing it. You can be unique and provide an original conclusion.
4. David Sedaris’s “Laugh, Kookaburra”
Laugh, Kookaburra is one of the best essays ever written. It contains lots of life advice. It is an interesting family drama taking place in the Australian wilderness. Sedaris talks about his inner feelings in this personal story. It is a great reflective essay. The author uses several techniques to improve the quality of his essay.
- Firstly, he uses analogies throughout the essay. This gives the essay a great effect on the reader.
- Secondly, he uses short but effective sentences. He only tells what the reader needs to know.
- Thirdly, he uses questions to keep the reader engaged.
You can use these tips to write a better essay.
5. George Orwell’s “Politics and the English Language”
Politics and the English Language is another great essay. It is one of the best essays that talk about writing in English. Read the essay to get some writing tips. For example, you will learn what constitutes bad writing. According to the author, the use of any smart-sounding word or phrase makes up poor writing. It only leads to poor work of literature. Orwell introduces the idea of original thinking to write a great essay.
How To Become A Better Essay Writer Always
We have provided a list of the best essays ever written. But you can find lots of the best essays ever written. Reading these essays will improve your writing skills. You will learn how to write a quality custom essay. We said you cannot separate writing and reading. So, create enough time for reading and writing. In case you need professional writing help, get in touch with the best essay writing service. Professional essay writers will assist you at an affordable price. Good luck.