Editing helps to produce perfect essays. This is the reason it is an important part of writing. Editing involves making an essay more organized, and easy to understand. By perfecting your essay, you increase the chances of getting top grades. So, dedicate enough time to editing your essays. Start by reviewing content, structure, and tone. Then, review grammar, spelling, punctuation, and formatting. Lastly, involve a friend or family member in your editing process. Let them help you perfect your paper. You can also seek professional essay editors’ help. In this article, you will learn how to edit essays. We’ve provided a step-by-step guide on how to edit essays. Keep reading and improve your editing skills.
How to edit essays
Take a break
Before editing an essay, you have to first write it. After you are done writing, then edit. However, don’t start editing your essay immediately. It is always advisable to take a break first. What happens if you start editing immediately after you are done writing? Your mind will read what it wants to hear. It will not read what you have written. In such a case, you should take a break and come back with a fresh mind. This will ensure that you read what you have written. In short, editing with a clear mind is more effective.
Read the question
When you are ready to start editing, start by reading the question. Ensure that you’ve understood the question. Think about what your teacher needs you to address. This is an important step on how to edit essays. It will help ensure that you’ve given the right answer.
Read your essay out loud
The next step on how to revise and edit an essay is reading the essay out loud. Reading out loud will help prepare your mind for the editing process. You can do this several times. This will help identify any issues in your essay. Highlight problems you may come across.
Check the content
Confirm whether you have answered the right question. Read the question again. Then, confirm if you have provided the right content. Sometimes, you can be tempted to get out of topic. So, read the content to ensure that you did stick to the topic.
All your words should focus on making your argument. Confirm that your content is clear. The language should also be clear and simple.
Read for structure
The next step on how to edit essays is checking the structure. In this step, you will read your essay to check the essay structure. Look at the overall organization of your essay. Also, check the flow. Imagine you are the reader. Would it be easy to follow the essay?
Answer the following questions;
- Does your essay have body paragraphs, introduction, and conclusion? Best essays should be well-organized. They should have a clear introduction, main body, and conclusion.
- Are the body paragraphs arranged logically? The body paragraphs should start with a topic sentence. This should be followed by an explanation, evidence, and link to the topic sentence.
- Does your essay have a thesis statement? Best academic essays should have a clear thesis statement. This should be introduced in the introduction paragraph.
- Are the sentences properly structured? Sentences should vary in length. A good essay will have both long and short sentences. This doesn’t mean using overly long sentences. You may have a long sentence with about 12 words. A short sentence maybe about five words-long.
Check the tone
Read through your essay to confirm the tone. For academic essays, you need a formal tone. But this may change with the type of your essay. For example, you may use a persuasive tone for an opinion paper. Either way, use an appropriate tone.
Check for grammar, punctuation, and spelling
When people think about how to revise and edit an essay, spellchecks crosses their mind. But, did you know that spellcheck can miss some mistakes? Oh yes. For example, spellcheck will miss a correct word used improperly. So, should you use spellcheck? It is ok to use spellcheck. However, don’t rely on them completely.
This is what we recommend. First, run the spellcheck over your essay. Then, read through the essay again to check for any issues.
Read each sentence to check for grammar and spelling mistakes. This is a key step on how to edit essays. Reading the essay out loud may help catch any errors.
Then check the punctuation. Remember even professional essay writers take time to edit their essays. So, don’t rush this process. Have enough time for every step. Read through the essay highlighting any punctuation errors. Then, take the time to edit these mistakes. Most instructors deduct points for any grammatical or punctuation errors. So, you can’t afford to submit a paper with these errors.
Check the format
The next step on how to edit essays is checking the formatting. Read assignment guidelines again. Then, read your answer to confirm the following of these guidelines. Answer the following questions;
- Does your essay have the required number of pages? Your teacher should have stated the required length in the guidelines or instructions. If the number of pages is not stated, check for the number of words. Ensure that your essay has the required number of words.
- Have you used the required formatting style? Again, you can get this information from the assignment instructions. If not clear, please consult your instructor.
- Have you properly cited your sources? First, ensure that you have cited your sources. Second, ensure that you have used the proper citation style.
- Have you used the required font, margin, and line spacing? The standard font is 12. For most papers, instructors require a 1-inch margin. However, the requirements may change. Check guidelines for specific instructions.
Seek a second opinion
When editing your essay, it is easy to overlook mistakes. This is because our brain tends to fill in blanks automatically. This is why seeking a second opinion is recommended. Have a friend or a family member read your work. Let them give you feedback on the flow of your essay, formatting, and grammatical errors.
Alternatively, get help from professional essay editors. Remember you need to succeed in your work. So, getting professional help may be more helpful.
Read one more time
The last step on how to edit essays is reading one more time. You need to be sure that you are submitting a perfect essay. So, read it one last time. Double-check the organization, tone, formatting, and content.
At this point, your essay may be ready for submission.
Editing for a better essay
Editing involves identifying mistakes in your essay. But this is not done to discourage you. It is a process of making your essay better. Through the 10-step process on how to edit essays, you will submit top-quality papers. These are the kinds of papers that will earn you top grades. While the process may be tiresome, it will help you achieve your academic goals. Again, with time editing will be way easier for you. For now, our guide will make the editing process a bit easier for you. You can contact us for further help.
Thank you for reading.