Response Paper Definition
In order to understand how to write a response paper, you must know what it is. So, what is a response paper? It is an essay that provides your reaction to an assigned text or texts. Teachers use these assignments after reading literature work or works. Response papers are used to;
- Firstly, show your understanding of the text.
- Secondly, improve your reading skills.
- Thirdly, demonstrate your analytical skills. A response paper should have a narrow focus. It should address certain parts of literature work. Students can use ‘I’ while writing response papers. But clarify this with your teacher first.
Your teacher may assign you a single or multiple text response paper. A single text paper requires that you respond to a single work. A multiple text paper requires a response to several works. Therefore, some students confuse response papers and summary papers. These two papers are different. A summary paper needs a text overview. You just read a text and write an overview. A response paper needs you to read a text and evaluate it. Then, you need to respond to it. Continue reading to learn how to write a response paper. For further help, online response essay writers are here for you. They can help you write a custom response paper at an affordable price.
Guide: How To Write A Response Essay
Writing a quality response paper assignment is a process.
Read the text or texts.
The first step to write a response paper assignment is reading the assigned text or texts. Reading isn’t enough. Also, you must read and re-read to understand the text. While reading, highlight important information. If possible, take notes. Note down any significant information.
You can use the following questions to understand your text.
- What is the text’s main argument? Why is this argument important?
- What evidence is provided in the text? Is the evidence convincing? Is there any issue such as bias?
- What is the strength and limitation of the discussion?
- Do you agree with the text claim? Why or why not?
- If you are analyzing two or more texts, do they relate?
- Do authors agree or disagree?
Prepare to write a response paper
Start by deciding on a response paper structure. A standard structure contains three main sections. The first section is the introduction. Here, you introduce your text or texts. You also present the focus of your paper. The second section is the main body. Here, you present the issues you are examining. The last section is the concluding paragraph. Here, you summarize your response.
Second, think about your reaction to the text. Think about how that text relates to your life. Is the text in line with your worldview? Did you find the topic enjoyable? Would you recommend it to a friend? What was your response in general? You may consider writing down the answers to these questions. From this list, choose the strongest reaction. Your opinion should have enough evidence from the assigned text.
Draft your essay
There are two ways to write a response essay.
Block response paper format
Firstly, start with your introduction. Introduce your topic or theme. You may introduce the work you are responding to. Then, present your main argument. Firstly, for a 5-paragraph essay, your introduction paragraph will be short. Secondly, for a longer essay, the introduction maybe longer. For any help, response essay writers are 24/7 available at a cheap price.
Then, move to the body paragraphs. Start by providing a summary of your text or texts. This may take one or two paragraphs. It depends on the length of your essay. In your summary, talk about the works you are responding to. Include the main arguments. Don’t just retell the text. Analytically provide the analysis. This is an important step when planning to write a response essay.
In the next body paragraphs, present your response to the assigned text. Start by discussing where you agree. Then, explain where you disagree. Remember to support your response. Use quotes or paraphrase specific information in the text. But you must cite each example. When preparing to write a response essay, you identified textual evidence. Check your notes and use relevant evidence.
Lastly, write the concluding paragraph. Talk about your position again. Summarize your supporting evidence. A cheap essay writing service can help with the block response paper format.
Mixed response format
In a block response paper format, you were mostly addressing a single theme. What if you have several themes to respond to? Use a mixed response paper format. In your response essay introduction, you will introduce your themes. Then, you may introduce your text or texts. Finally, you will present your general reaction. This will be your thesis.
After the introduction, you will focus on the main body. You will start by addressing a point after a point. Under each point, you will provide a summary, how it is presented, and your response. This means that a summary of each theme, analysis, and reaction will be presented together. Note, in the block format, each of these was addressed separately. You will follow this format in all your supporting paragraphs.
Lastly, you will write a concluding paragraph. Again, you will restate your response to the selected themes.
Revise your response essay
When planning to write a response paper, firstly, you must create time for polishing it. Drafts will always have errors. If these errors are not corrected, your essay will not be clear. If you feel exhausted, take a break. Secondly, come back and polish your essay. Thirdly, ensure that the essay has a good structure. Check your format. Is it correct? Read the essay aloud. Fourthly, listen to your sentences. Are they correct? Finally, don’t forget to proofread it. Check for any grammatical errors. To ensure your response paper is perfect, consider a response essay writing service. Online professional writers will perfect the essay at an affordable price.
Writing Tips From EssayEver.com
- Firstly, read and read the assigned text before you write a response essay.
- Secondly, ensure that your response essay has a smooth flow. This will make it easy for your reader to follow your thoughts. Before you write the essay, come up with a proper structure. This will help you organize the essay.
- Thirdly, for any quotes you may use, ensure that it is properly cited. Ensure you use the required formatting style. If you are not sure, clarify with your teacher. You should also cite any information you have paraphrased.
- Fourthly, don’t over-rely on quotes. Only use them when necessary.
- Fifthly, choose an appropriate response essay format. If you are addressing a single theme, choose the block format. If you have several themes, think of the mixed format.
- Finally, always polish your academic English essays. Have enough time to read and re-read your response paper. You must submit a perfect essay.
Many students ask about how to write a response paper. It is, for this reason, we have provided a guide on how to write a response paper step by step. So, if you have read our guide carefully, you will write a good response paper. However, in case of any problem, response essay writers can help write a custom response essay.