Have you heard that TAE Course has been updated? Well, these are not rumors. True there is a new updated TAE course. The old version, TAE40110, has been updated to TAE40116. Having many questions about this new course? Well, today is your lucky day! This article provides information on what you should know about the updated course. Read on to stay updated.
About the new TAE Course TAE40116
Previously, TAE40110 was the qualification accredited nationally for trainers or assessors. After several changes, it was superseded by the 2016 Cert IV TAE course (TAE40116). TAE Course has seen several revisions over the years. For example, in 2004, the course was known as TAA40104. Then in 2010, it was revised to TAE40110 and now TAE40116.
Why update the course?
You may be wondering, but why do they have to keep revising the course? Well, there is a major reason for the revision and updates. Basically, all courses are regularly updated to ensure that they meet the current needs in the industry. The TAE course had not been revised for 6 years. So, updates were needed to ensure that the course meets the current needs of the vocational education and training sector. Thus, this means that graduates have the necessary knowledge and skills for the current audience.
The updated TAE Course was released in April 2016 officially. The proposed changes were expected to be accepted in 2015. However, the discussion to make the changes delayed for another year leading to the 2016 release.
The certificate serves as the national qualification for individuals working in the vocational education and training (VET) sector. Again, taking the course equips trainees with skills for designing and delivering training more effectively. Also, the program also enables trainers to utilize competency-based assessment strategies.
The course was updated to ensure that trainers have the necessary knowledge and skills required in the industry.
Changes in the new TAE Course
The new TAE Course came with several changes.
- Two new units
The new course added two new units. The first unit is ‘Addressing Adult Language, Literacy, and Numeracy Skills (TAELLN411)’. The second unit is ‘Design and Develop Assessment Tools (TAEASS502)’.
- Two existing units were upgraded
The version of the two existing units was updated. The new versions are not equivalent to the old versions. The first unit is ‘Participate in Assessment Validation’. Furthermore, the second updated unit is ‘Plan Assessment Activities and Processes’.
- The updated course has a new structure
In the old version, the course included 7 core units. The new course offers 9 core units. Also, previously, there were 3 elective units. But, the updated course offers 1 elective unit.
- TAE40116 comes with more requirements
The new course introduced more requirements. Such requirements include;
- First students have to develop three assessment tools.
- Second, students have to customize learning resources and use them.
- Third, for group-based learning, the group must be made of 8 participants. Previously, only four participants were required.
- Fourth, the students must assess participants in a real training environment. Earlier, the assessment was done for two candidates and in a simulated environment.
- Also, to finish the new TAE course, you will have to complete 3 validation sessions. Before students had to complete only 2 sessions.
- New entry requirements
The new TAE Course has new entry requirements. Individuals wishing to enroll in the program need to;
- First, demonstrate vocational competency in the area they intend to deliver training.
- Second, have training experience.
TAE40110 to TAE40116 Upgrade
For individuals with TAE40110 qualification, they can upgrade to the new course. There are various reasons why you should upgrade if you are in such a situation.
First, the law requires training and assessment to be delivered by individuals with the new certificate or with the upgraded TAE40110 Certificate IV in Training and Assessment. The same is required for people doing assessments. Indeed, since July 2019, it is mandatory to have the new qualifications to offer training or assessment in the VET sector.
Second, by possessing the current qualification in training and assessment, you will gain a competitive advantage. Generally, this is because you will become a fully qualified trainer and assessor.
To upgrade, you will need;
- The superseded TAE40110 Certificate
- To complete the two new units.
- To complete gap training for the updated course units.
- New vocational experience.
Importance of the updated TAE Course
The new course enables trainers and assessors to;
- Develop learning programs more effectively.
- Deliver training for individuals or groups.
- Assess learners properly.
- Support students’ language, literacy, and numeracy needs.
- Determine the competency of the students.
The new TAE Course was released in 2016. It has two new course units. Two existing core units were upgraded. Vocational competency was added as a new entry qualification. For those with a TAE40110 certificate, they can upgrade to the new qualification. Remember, the new course, TAE40116 is mandatory to train and assess in the VET sector.