Should Universities Provide Accommodations To Disabled Students
Millions of people in the world have some kind of disability. This population lacks proper services to help live a better life. This is why the many have lower education and poor health. To promote equality across the world, access to services should be equal. This includes having universities to give equitable education access. Students with disabilities should have equal chances just like other students. The law also tells universities to give equal opportunities to students with disabilities through accommodations.
What Are Accommodations For Disabled Students
This involve giving them equal chances as others. Such students are given an this to benefit from education. Think of accommodation as a change in how things are normally done. Therefore, schools must give such for disabled students. This practice started long ago. It started when public schools were needed to offer accommodations to them. Since then, most schools offer accommodations. Therefore, they should be at no cost. Below, we will discuss some types they should offer.
Common Accommodations For Students With Disabilities
- Housing accommodations
Universities should offer this to students with disabilities. This shows commitment to equality in this area. It also gives students with disabilities equal access to school facilities. So, the students should be able to get a room within the school. This thus makes it easier for them to move. So, this is for the students who wish to live in schoolhouses. Some students may however choose to live outside the school.
Universities should also make sure that the houses are good for the students. However, giving any room is not enough. They may need rooms with some accommodations. For example, some students will need an air conditioned room. Universities should also give such students rooms with air conditioning. Other students may need rooms with a private washroom. Universities therefore should have such type of units for disabled students. The rooms should also be well accessible for those using wheelchairs.
Other housing accommodations that students with disabilities may request include;
- Automatic door opener
- Students with hearing impairments may need a visual doorbell
- Smoke detector for students with hearing impairments
- Spaced room for medical equipment.
- Areas will fewer distractions such as traffic noise
- Emotional support animals
These are just some of the many that universities should offer. This way, students will disabilities can have a good environment to live in.
- Provide support aids and services
Students with disabilities need additional support to learn like other students. For example, they may need assistive technology. This also helps in doing tasks easily, independently, and well. Such include recording devices, screen readers, and language interpreters. These aids then make learning a lot easier for them. Universities should have centers for such. Such centers should be accessible to any student.
Students with disabilities will have different dining needs. For example, some may need specific diets. This means making menus to meet such needs. This may also mean having dining policies for such a setting.
- School accommodations
Physical environments can be a challenge for students with disabilities. If a school is not well done, they may have access problems. Remove such barriers. All buildings should be accessible. This includes classes. Disabled students should be able to get in and out of classes easily. They should not have to rely on others.
- Classroom accommodations
Some of them may not be good for disabled students. For example, they may need different testing arrangements. Such include;
- Firstly, longer time for doing tests. For example, students with learning disabilities may need more time to finish tests.
- Secondly, some students may need time during tests to take a drink. They may need test readers. Different disabilities will need different test accommodations. Universities should provide such to them.
- Thirdly, they may need to record lectures. Universities should have ways to support their needs.
- Fourthly, they may need course materials in different formats. Such include large print, Braille, audio, or electronic format.
- Finally, they may also need special classroom arrangements. For example, some may need to seat close to the board. Making such accommodations is necessary for them.
- Transport accommodations
Some disabled students need help moving around the school. Universities should give supportive transportation services. The vehicles used for this should be fit their conditions. For example, they should have a proper lift for those using wheelchairs.
What Should Students Do?
Students with disabilities should know that they have a right to ask for accommodations. But this is usually a process. Only suitable ones are offered. Students should start by applying for them. This involves;
- Firstly, giving information about the disability.
- Secondly, you need to give documents as proof of the disability. The university will then check if you need such accommodations. If your case is approved, you will be told. The information you share about your disability is not shared to other people. So, do not be afraid to give it out. You are the only one who can share that information.
Universities should give suitable accommodations for students with disabilities. These should be offered on an individual basis. This is the only way we can make sure that everyone is included in education. They make the students able to have a better stay in school. They need such to be more effective.